Re: openldap 2.4.16 hangs with dncachesize smaller than max number of records

Howard,

I download the latest HEAD and compiled for testing.

By my test it looks like slapd isn't anymore hanging but there still
some performance issues. I continued with the same 3,000,000 dncachesize
boundary and a DB with around 4,000,000 records. The ldapsearch run ok
with a pace of more than 1500 records read by second until it reaches
the dncachesize boundary where this pace reduce to less than 20 records
per second.

Since a record not cached, like starting a ldapsearch for the first
time, the limiting factor would be the disk I/O. I was expecting for a
record not cached, even filled up the dncache, the pace would remain
very similar since only disk I/O would be the limiting factor. I monitor
system resources and after dncache filled I wouldn't see any increase in
disk I/O or any other HW liniting factor that could leave to this
considerable drop.

The system took around 20minutes to reach the 3,000,000 records search
but it would then take more than 10 hours to finish the ending 1,000,000.

What is more strange is different from the official openLDAP 2.4.16, if
I stop the ldapsearch and start a new one, even there are now records in
memory, the pace continues in the around 20 records per second.

This creates performance issues since looks like the system enters in a
cache controlled state where records are read(by logic) very slowly, not
a system resource(like HW) limitation. Please see below some tests I did
where these paces can be seen :

[root@brtldp12 ~]# date;cat /backup/test_temp_CONTENT.ldif|egrep -e
'^pnnumber' |wc -l;sleep 1;date;cat /backup/test_temp_CONTENT.ldif|egrep
-e '^pnnumber' |wc -l
Wed Jun 17 00:27:14 BRT 2009
224
Wed Jun 17 00:27:15 BRT 2009
246

[root@brtldp12 ~]# date;cat /backup/test_temp_CONTENT.ldif|egrep -e
'^pnnumber' |wc -l;sleep 1;date;cat /backup/test_temp_CONTENT.ldif|egrep
-e '^pnnumber' |wc -l
Wed Jun 17 00:28:03 BRT 2009
3089
Wed Jun 17 00:28:04 BRT 2009
4700

I used the mated machine(replication) that didn't fill the cache and
also started a new ldapsearch in the master 1 machine to show the pace
continue in a slow rate.

Not sure if this was the behavior expected since after cache is filled
system start to respond in a very slow rate even there are already
cached records that would speed things up.

Could this be a configuration issue? I do not think but I'm putting
below my cache configuration :

#Cache values
cachesize       10000
dncachesize     3000000