OpenLDAP lib & MinGW

Jonathon Bowman wrote a great set of instructions on how to build the OpenLDAP
libs in MinGW.  Apparently cygwin is no longer a valid option?
http://bowmansolutions.com/mingw-openldap/

I was able to get through all of the instructions and have now tried to run a
test program but I get the following error on compile:
gcc -Wall -lldap rootdse2.c

C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccMQuBSx.o:rootdse2.c:(.text+0x13):
undefined reference to `ldap_err2string'
C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccMQuBSx.o:rootdse2.c:(.text+0x8f):
undefined reference to `ldap_initialize'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Can anyone lend a hand with trying to figure out why I can't use the library?
Also is there a simpler config option to build just the libs?

I'd be more than happy to put together a new set of instructions outlining the
configuration.
Thanks
Eric