Sync API beginner / Callback trigger grokking

Dear all;
I'm using the ldap client sync api (ldap_sync(3)).

I'm trying to figure out how to use it.

I've added all the four possible callbacks - ls_search_entry,
ls_search_reference, ls_intermediate and ls_search_result. For
now, I only made them print out some data.

I call ldap_sync_init_refresh_only on that struct repeatedly.

ls_search_entry trigger once for each matching dn in the database
on the first call to ldap_sync_init_refresh_only.

ls_intermediate trigger once everytime a dn is deleted.

ls_search_result triggers once everytime ldap_sync_init_refresh_only is run.

ls_search_reference hasn't trigged at all so far.

What I want to do is find out when objects are added, deleted, or
attributes changed, added or deleted, and trigger things from
that. I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong. Any ideas?

So far, nothing seems to trigger from adding objects or changing
attributes.