Re: slapadd performance

Pete Giesin wrote:
We are using Symas OpenLDAP 2.4.12.1 on a  Red Hat EL 5.2 64-bit with
8GB of memory.

My DB_CONFIG settings are:
set_cachesize 3 0 2
set_lk_max_locks   3000
set_lk_max_objects 1500
set_lk_max_lockers 1500
set_lg_regionmax 262144
set_lg_bsize 2097152
set_lg_dir /opt/symas/var/openldap-logs/amwater
set_flags       DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
set_tas_spins 1

The 10 million user load finished in about 18 hours. I believe the
primary issue is the fact that we have a single disk on the system. I
assume that if I were to move the database and log files off to separate
disks I would get much better performance.

With slapadd -q there are no transactions, so there will not be any log file traffic. It sounds like your DB is very much larger than your available memory, so you're simply being limited by your disk speed. Running vmstat while you load would confirm this.

Thanks,
Pete