Re: RE24 (2.4.15) slapd consuming large amounts of CPU

--On Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:30 PM -0500 John Morrissey <jwm@horde.net> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 12:13:49PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, March 04, 2009 1:55 PM -0500 John Morrissey
<jwm@horde.net> wrote:

> After a few hours of uptime, slapd suddenly begins consuming enormous
> amounts of CPU (a three- to four-fold increase over less than a few
> minutes, and is sustained until slapd is restarted).

Interseting.  I've seen this sort of CPU usage issue with OpenLDAP
2.3/BDB4.2.52 on Ubuntu 8.  Do you know how BDB 4.7 was built?  I.e.,
specifically, did it have the:

--enable-posixmutexes --with-mutex=POSIX/pthreads

options enabled?

It's the Debian packaging for BDB 4.7 (only available in sid, but it's a simple rebuild to backport to lenny). They do *not* appear to pass any mutex-related options to ./configure.

Yeah, that's a major problem in using Debian's builds of BDB. You want those options sent to configure when using BDB on Linux NPTL systems.

Also, are you using a shared memory key?  I've found that has a
significant (positive) impact with BDB 4.7 on linux boxes.

We are not. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

No prob. :) You may have to adjust some settings in sysctl to do it. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer