From: openldap-software-bounces+worganc=nortel.com@openldap.org
[mailto:openldap-software-bounces+worganc=nortel.com@openldap.org] On
Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 6:06 PM
To: Brian A. Seklecki
Cc: Worgan, Craig (BVW:9T16); openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Single-master replication over TLS fails in 2.4.15

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:56 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
>>> In 2.4, if you configure syncrepl over TLS and omit the new options,

>>> does OpenLDAP use the values that are configured for the server
>>> certificate settings (TLS*), if any?
>> That's already explicitly stated in the slapd.conf(5) manpage.
>>
>>> If so, I'm confused as to why it
>>> failed for me originally.
>> I have no idea, it works for me.
>

> Meh!
>
> Craig:
>    Try issuing two certs for your replica.  One for the "server"
>    services, one for the "client" service.
>
>    Sign them both by the same Root CA, or two different intermediary
CAs
>    (which you can daisy chain), but differentiate them with Netscape
>    Certificate Use extensions for your own reference

You're assuming he even has a CA cert. From the looks of it, he's using
a single self-signed cert for everything. The Admin Guide already tells
you to use a CA cert and separate server and client certs, but some
people just don't seem to bother reading or following docs. All the
documentation in the world is useless if nobody pays any attention.

--
   -- Howard Chu