configure's --program-suffix

I am building OpenLDAP 2.4.13 (on RHEL5 if it matters) and using the --program-suffix option of configure so I can install this without replacing Red Hat's version (this time).

What I'm finding though is that although the binaries have the suffix -- /usr/sbin/slaptest2.4 (for example). The slapd binary does not understand that "slaptest2.4" should make it run as the slaptest tool -- and it executes as slapd.

Is this behavior expected (ie, using this feature, I need to patch the tools array in servers/slapd/main.c to put the suffix on the char string for matching purposes)?

Thanks,