Securing cn=config

After hours of searching through mailing lists, reading man pages and FAQs and the admin-guide and trying every possible combination I can think of, I still can't find the answer on how to secure cn=config

The FAQ says that in slapd 2.4 cn=config respects ACLs, but I can't even limit auth against the rootdn with an ACL.

There has to be a recommended way, but I can't find it. I guess a lot pf people would have benefit from a FAQ example on how to do it.

I would have expected this to work:

database config
rootpw config
access to dn.exact="cn=config"