OpenLDAP connecting to remote MySQL server with back-sql

Hi all,

Question for you. I’ve been racking my brains over this one for most the day without much success, and it seems my Google-Fu is no match for this one. I’m hoping you can help.

I’m attempting to setup OpenLDAP (2.4.13) with back-sql running as a module, relying on a MySQL server as a backend.

My problem appears to be due to the fact I’m trying to run the database server on a remote host, not the same box as OpenLDAP.

Attempting to start OpenLDAP gives the following error:

backsql_open_db_conn: SQLConnect() to database "ldap" as user "dc1auth1" failed:

Return code: -1

   Native error code: 2002

   SQL engine state:  08S01

   Message:           [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

backsql_get_db_conn(): could not get connection handle -- returning NULL

backsql_db_open(): connection failed, exiting

However, obdc.ini (which has been separately tested) is configured to connect to the MySQL server on My understanding is that the dbhost attribute in slapd.conf is ignored – we’ve set this anyway just to make sure.

Extracts from each:

database        sql

suffix          "dc=imagingthesouth,dc=com,dc=au"

rootdn          "cn=Hostmaster,dc=imagingthesouth,dc=com,dc=au"

rootpw          stat1c

dbname          ldap

dbuser          dc1auth1

dbpass          dc1auth1

subtree_cond    "ldap_entries.dn LIKE CONCAT('%',?)"

insentry_query  "INSERT INTO ldap_entries (dn,oc_map_id,parent,keval) VALUES (?,?,?,?)"

Description = MySQL connection to Rhapsody

Driver = MySQL

DSN = ldap

Host =

Server =

Servername =

USER   = dc1auth1

PASSWORD = passgoeshere

Database = rhapsody

Port = 3306

Option =

Stmt =

I’m slightly out of my depth here – any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,