Re: OpenLDAP 2.4.11 + Syncrepl + RWM

--On December 23, 2008 2:17:29 PM -0500 Alan Evans <alanwevans@gmail.com> wrote:

I am using OpenLDAP 2.4.11 with all overlays and all backends compiled.
My company is in the middle if rebuilding our LDAP environment and we
would like to use OpenLDAP + Syncrepl + RWM to neatly move objects into
their new places within the DIT.

Our old DIT looks like:

ou=people,dc=company,dc=com
  uid=abc_jsmith
  uid=abc_jdoe
  uid=xyz_hsmith
  uid=xyz_dsmith

Our new DIT looks like:

ou=users,o=abc,dc=company,dc=com
  uid=abc_jsmith
  uid=abc_jdoe
ou=users,o=xyz,dc=company,dc=com
  uid=xyz_hsmith
  uid=xyz_dsmith
Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

As a complete aside, I'd note that your old method of organization is generally better long-term than your current method of organization. How are you categorizing people who belong to multiple organizations? How do you handle organization name changes? Etc. In administering a number of different directory servers over the years, I've found it to be better to be much more general in your categorization (as in your old DIT) with attributes inside the entry indicating such things as what organization(s) the individual belongs to, then to being more specific in the categorization of people, as things (such as organization names) tend to change over time, and if you've developed applications that depend on the organizational tree structure, they become quite a pain to maintain.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer