Best method for redundant replication

I would some advice and how best to go about setting up a redundant infrastructure for my ldap consumer servers.

I work for a company that has remote offices around the world.

In our main office we have setup 2 OpenLDAP servers running 4.x version of the software in a MirrorMode configuration. I have load balancer which points a single VIP to the server that I want to be the authoritative writer at any point in time.

Around the world I have around 42 servers that I would like to slave off these master servers.

First off does anyone think having 42 slaves to a single master is going to kill the server. It is an 8 core box with gobs of RAM.

The other question is on how I obtain replication redundancy. Do I simply point my syncrepl provider to the VIP that hosts the master server. When the VIP re points in case the a server failure the salvea should just reconnect?  Has anyone ever used 2 syncrepl stanzas against the same DIT. Something like below. This way the slaves always has a connection to both servers in the MirrorMode config. If one goes down then the other replication thread will continue getting updates. Is this a supported configor does it create a lot of conflicts in deciding who to get the updates from since it will receive 2 updates when both servers are live.

Thanks!

syncrepl rid=100
    provider=ldap://master1.nyc.example.com:389
    bindmethod=simple
    binddn="cn=repl,dc=nyc,dc=example,dc=com"
    credentials=secret
    type=refreshAndPersist
    searchbase="dc=nyc,dc=example,dc=com"
    retry="5 5 10 10 60 +"
    schemachecking=off

syncrepl rid=101
    provider=ldap://master2.nyc.example.com:389