Re: virtual view strategies: replying differently to different clients

Pierangelo Masarati a Ãcrit :
----- "Aaron Richton" <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

First, using a distinct database doesn't allow to provide a virtual
view
from a branch in my original database to another branch in the same
database. Meaning, I can't have ou=telephony,dc=myprefix a virtual
view
of ou=users,dc=myprefix, I need to use a distinct prefix.
Have you tried declaring the ou=telephony,dc=myprefix back-relay subordinate to dc=myprefix back-$END?

I was about to reply the same, but you anticipated me :)

I've tried the above, and it works as expected as soon as the "relay" statement is omitted. In fact, it requires the superior database to already exist. Probably, that test should either be relaxed or moved to db_open().
Actually, subordinate is not really needed, just declaring the inner database before the other is OK:
database relay
suffix "ou=telephony,dc=myprefix"
overlay rwm
rwm-suffixmassage "ou=users,dc=myprefix"

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=myprefix"

Making the first one subordinate to the second has the unwanted side-effect of having all requests for user starting from top-level suffix (example: ldapvi --user '(uid=foo)' now return two users instead of one, so I'd likely avoid it.
--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs