Re: OpenLDAP Date

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, andylockran wrote:
> TZ="Europe/London"; export TZ
>
> that's in /etc/profile, and the date shows up correctly as:
>
> Fri Aug 29 11:09:34 BST 2008

On the systems that I'm familiar with, /etc/profile is only read by
interactive shells and not by shells that are running scripts.  If that's
the case on your system, then the slapd started from a boot-time script
would not see that setting, because there's no interactive shell in its
process ancestry.

For Solaris, the TZ variable is set for 'init' via the /etc/TIMEZONE file
and processes inherit it from init.

For Linux, you normally leave TZ unset and instead make /etc/localtime a
symlink to the correct file under /usr/share/zoneinfo/.  If you run
something chrooted then you may need to set up an /etc/localtime file
inside the chroot if you care about the timezone it uses.

> Does openldap pull its timezone data from elsewhere.

Nope.

Philip Guenther