Proxy Auth Question

My goal is to configure OpenLDAP as a proxy to provide e-mail addresses to the public (via anonymous simple binds) using an LDAP back-end which requires authenticated simple binds.

Public ccess to this server will be anonymous only and read-only. All non-anonymous bind attempts are transformed to anonymous using authz- regexp ".+" "dn:".

However, I need all binds to the back-end LDAP service to use a specific account. I've looked at the docs and the list archives for information related to "idassert-bind" but I'm not understanding it well enough.

I tried this ...

idassert-authzFrom "dn:*"
idassert-bind    bindmethod="simple"
                 binddn="cn=info,o=org"
                 credentials="password"

but that does not seem to be working for me. I'm getting anonymous binds on the back-end. Is it possible to do what I'm asking? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Yancey