From: openldap-software-bounces+worganc=nortel.com@openldap.org
[mailto:openldap-software-bounces+worganc=nortel.com@openldap.org] On
Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:13 PM
To: Worgan, Craig (BVW:9T16)
Cc: Buchan Milne; openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: BDB 4.3 instability

Craig Worgan wrote:
> Howard,
>
> I am running OpenLDAP on a paired down version of RHEL5.1.  We build
> OpenLDAP and roll our own RPM due to our requirement for the PPOLICY
> module and our desire to be able to pick up different OpenLDAP
> versions for new features and bug fixes.  Yesterday I tried building
> 2.4 due to your recommendation from another post, and got the
> following build
> error:
>
> checking for Berkeley DB major version... 4 checking for Berkeley DB
> minor version... 3 checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.3)... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB version match... yes checking for Berkeley DB

> thread support... yes checking Berkeley DB version for BDB/HDB
> backends... no
> configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible
>
> During my investigation I discovered the FAQ about BBD 4.3 being
> unstable.  I took this information to my platform/base team and we
> discussed upgrading the library for all of our apps, as it's a
> commonly used shared library.  They want to bring this info to RedHat
> and they asked me to dig into the statement that BDB 4.3 is unstable.

We tested BDB 4.3 heavily when it first appeared in 2005. In those tests
we found that it tended to SEGV under heavy concurrent load. Building
against BDB
4.2 showed none of these problems. You can probably check the
openldap-devel archives from that timeframe for more details.

I also forwarded this information to the RedHat/FedoraDS team when I saw
them integrating BDB 4.3 support in November 2006, but they ignored the
info.

As usual, the RedHat folks are not only clueless, but aggressively so.

> I do appreciate the help and didn't intend it to come across
otherwise.

Buchan knows what he's doing... If you don't want to follow his approach
you might want to consider using commercially supported RPMs from people
who are actually competent in supporting OpenLDAP (e.g., from Symas) to
save yourself all of this hassle.
--
   -- Howard Chu