Re: PGP Keys

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:16:20PM +0100, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Jorge Medina wrote:
>
> >Do anybody knows where I could get the PGP keys to verify the
> >integrity of the source code I downloaded from a mirror?
>
> PGP is not used to sign releases or release announcements.
>
> To verify the integrity of a tarball download from ftp.openldap.org or
> a mirror, you can check it against the SSHA1 and/or MD5 hashes
> published as part of the announcement for the release (posted to
> openldap-announce@openldap.org , archived in that list's archives).
>
> Hash verification is not intended to detect instances where
> openldap.org hosted services have been hijacked or otherwise seriously
> compromised.

However only offering the option to verify the hashes using unsigned
emails or non-https publications on a web site is offering up many
more attack vectors.

PGP-signing the hashes would solve this problem and is bog standard
practice in many (most?) projects and I would like to see it offered by
OpenLDAP.

Cheers,
Dominic.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team