Re: BDB 4.3 instability

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 19:44:39 Sean O'Malley wrote:
> As a point of reference, I tried building our DB (500k+ entries) on Centos
> 5.1 and it flopped miserably because of the db 4.3.

Actually, Centos 5.1's OpenLDAP is linked to an internal copy of 4.2, as you
would have seen if you read the rest of the thread.

> Fedora 9 with db 4.4 seems to be chugging along nicely so far. :)

I have ~ 1.3 million entries on RHEL4 with OpenLDAP 2.3.43 and Berkeley DB
4.2, that has been running stably for years (well, it was migrated to 2.3
around the 2.3.17 timeframe).

> Fedora 9 ships with db 4.4.x and openldap 2.4x and that is probably the
> src.rpm I would use.

However, 4.6 shows better performance.

> It statically links db into it so you won't run into
> any issues with the versions db being mismatched.

No, it ships an internal copy of the library ...

> You might also be able to swank the db tree from the Fedora 9 source tree
> and drop that in the RH/Centos 5.1 src.rpm and just eliminate the issue.

But, then you would break any other applications linked to libldap, as Red
Hat/Fedora don't have a decent library policy.

Some users may prefer to try my 2.4 packages for RHEL5:

http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5/openldap/

Which ships an internal copy of 4.6, ships all the backends, all the overlays,
ships a working test-suite, and installs in parallel with the RHEL-provided
2.3.

> However backup your database before trying this.

With my packages that is unnecessary, you can in fact run 2.3 and 2.4
simultaneously on the same machine (a much easier migration path).

Regards,
Buchan