overlay chain

Hi, folks,

I have a slave running syncrepl (just fine) which is getting hit with update requests, which are, of course, failing. I'd like to have them succeed. I could not find anything in the docs that would allow the slave to issue a referral. That seems to be limited to slurpd, if I understand correctly.

So I tried to implement chained updates. I put the following into my slaves slapd.conf:

overlay                 chain
chain-rebind-as-user    FALSE

chain-uri "ldap://master.mydomain.com";
chain-rebind-as-user TRUE
chain-idassert-bind bindmethod="simple"

This does not seem to be sufficient, but I can't figure out from the slapo manpage what else is required.

I get error 0x35, that the slave refuses to perform the operation. (I tried whipping and otherwise punishing the slave, but it did not improve it's attitude. :)

There does not seem to be a good howto for this.

Can somebody send me a pointer or an answer?

Ed Greenberg
West Hollywood, CA