Re: slapd and multi core cpu's

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Jeronimo Zucco wrote:
Philip Guenther wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jeronimo Zucco wrote:
   I'm using openldap 2.4.10. slapd is only using one cpu core of my
server. is it possible slapd use more cpu cores ?

If configured to use threads (which it should by default) and your platform's threads aren't pure user-space, then "yes". (All the involved components, such as bdb and openssl, must also be compiled to have a per-thread errno, if the platform doesn't do that by default.)

Philip Guenther
I did it, as you can see in my openldap configure log:
   But slapd still using just one core. I'm running slapd with "ldap"
user, in a CentOS 5.2, BerkeleyDB-4.6.21, vanilla kernel 2.6.25.9.
Server has 4 cpu cores.

So the compile config bits all look good for slapd using threads and that platform has 'real' threads, so things are good from that side.

   I'm doing tests with multi-master replication, the replication is
working fine. I noted it when I was doing replication with other 2
nodes, the slapd in the first master is only using one core.

<sigh>

So, you asked the question "is it possible slapd use more cpu cores?" when your *real* question was "is it possible for slapd to use multiple CPU cores when doing replication with two other nodes in a multimaster setup?" You _do_ realize that those questions are significantly different and may have different answers, right?

I don't know the answer to your real question. I _suspect_ that the details of your configuration (i.e., the slapd.conf bits for the three masters) would be useful in answering it, but I'm not familiar enough with that sort of configuration to be sure.

Philip Guenther