Re: Mirror Mode

<quote who="Jorge Medina">
> Hi,
> 	I am trying to configure OpenLDAP in mirror mode.
>
> 	From what I understood, the documentation suggests having two
> servers configured in mirror mode, plus a set of replicas. (As shown in
> the diagram at the end of the page at
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Configuring%20the%2
> 0different%20replication%20types)
>
> 	The documentation suggests that the backend LDAP module can be
> used as the load balancer. Nevertheless the documentation is missing the
> sections on configuring this module.
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/backends.html#LDAP

Hi,

Yes, there a lots of wee bits missing, but if you look at the slapd-ldap
man page:

       uri <ldapurl>
              LDAP  server  to use.  Multiple URIs can be set in a single
lda-
              purl argument, resulting in the underlying library
automatically
              call the first server of the list that responds, e.g.

              uri "ldap://host/ ldap://backup-host/";

              The  URI list is space- or comma-separated.  Whenever the
server
              that responds is not the first one in  the  list,  the  list
 is
              rearranged  and  the  responsive server is moved to the
head, so
              that it will be first contacted the next time a connection
needs
              be created.

> 	a) I am assuming the replicas are just read-only replicas.
> Right?

They don't need to be, they can be setup to chain write requests back to a
single IP which is the ldap proxy which in turn points back to the two MM
nodes.

> 	b) If a client requires to write to the directory, how are these
> request forwarded to the active mirror?

man slapo-chain

> 	c) Does anyone knows how to configure the LDAP backend to act as
> a proxy?

man slapd-ldap

> 	d) Is mirror mode mature? Is it ready for production use?

Very and already out there deployed at some highly business critical areas
all over the world.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry@suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 13 Whiteley Well Place, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 4FP.