ldapsearch and slapd unrelated

I have been confused by following symptoms for two days.

openldap version: 2.3.38
os: redhat linux

when I do not start slapd, I can still run "ldapsearch -x", but it shows "result: 32 No such object".

Then I start slapd, the "ldapsearch -x" has the same symptom. Then I use the slapd admin user and password to do the ldapsearch. It surprised me by reporting "bad username or password". Then I do the ldapsearch in another server by "-h" pointing to the server, it reports "cann't contact ldap server (-1)", but slapd is running in the server.

These results completely confuse me!

The /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf is
BASE    dc=mycompany,dc=com

The access control list in /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf  is
access to *
   by * read

Do you ever encounter the problem? any hints are appreciated!

Thank you!

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.