Re: memory usage of dn attributes

Jason Dusek wrote:
   Are DNs optimized in any way, for lookup or storage? Or are
   they merely packed into strings and searched
   lexicographically? I'm curious because DNs are the only
   allowed key for the referential integrity. If they are
   searched using string operations, that would be pretty slow
   relative to shorter strings (UID) or plain old Int values.

Lookups are optimized if you have configured appropriate indexing. In general, string ops in OpenLDAP don't use naive libc methods and so they're faster than most. If you're interested in actually seeing how fast or slow it is, I suggest you profile your workload. We didn't get to be 200x faster than ActiveDirectory and 5x faster than FedoraDS just by dumb luck.
--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com