use of slappasswd -T file and ldappasswd -T file

Hi,
I have a functional openldap server (2.3.39) compiled and installed on
redhat 4. I can use both ldappasswd and slappasswd from the command line
with the -s newpassword syntax successfully to either display a value
(slappasswd) or modify the directory (ldappasswd). This works.

The problem is that both ldappasswd and slappasswd with the -T file
syntax do not seem to work. The contents of my file are just
newpassword, with no quotes, no newline.

Does anyone know if there is some special syntax for the file when using
ldappasswd -T file or:
slappasswd -T file

thanks for any help.

Erik