Re: make install makes bad binaries

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Pieter Donche wrote:
but $ /usr/local/bin/ldapsearch
answers:
Killed
on the other hand, if I use the ldapsearch binary from my
openldap-2.3.39 build directory:
# ./clients/tools/ldapsearch
succeeds and I can perform a search on my LDAP database returning the
correct results..

I noticed a big difference in size between:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root    457772 Apr 28 09:02 ./clients/tools/ldapsearch
and
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root   1023664 Apr 28 09:27 /usr/local/bin/ldapsearch

All the clients tools have that same size difference between the compiled
versions in ./openldap-2.3.39/clients/tools/ldap* and the ones in
/usr/local/bin/ldap*

Sounds like the 'strip' program that you're using is broken. What's the output of "which strip"? If it's _not_ /usr/ccs/bin/strip, then try moving /usr/ccs/bin to the front of your path and redo the install. If that fixes it, then REMOVE the broken strip program.

Philip Guenther