Re: Openldap 2.4 and the cn=config directory

Mike Johnston wrote:
Hi,
I used -f & -F options to build my cn=config from my slapd.conf file.
Everything works however, I see a directory tree created and I got the
impression from the Openldap 2.4 admin manual first page Chap 5 "the new
style uses a slapd backend database to store the config". I assumed it
meant a bdb/hdb backend database not an actual disk directory tree.

Obviously a poor assumption.

Can it use a hdb/bdb for the cn=config store?

No. Currently it is hardcoded to use back-ldif. While it may be possible to use different backends in the future, it's unlikely that back-bdb/hdb will ever be candidates for that purpose, since they require fairly complex configurations themselves. I.e., to avoid the chicken-and-egg problem of where to get the configuration info for the underlying backend, only extremely simple backends are suitable here.

--
  -- Howard Chu