ldapsearch client timeout feature

Hi,

I have a windows 2k3 machine, where in I have specified few virtual IPs.
ldapsearch works fine when the IP's are present in the list.
The problem is when the IP is removed from the IP list at the time of ldapsearch printing the output data. I see that ldapsearch hangs.
I could find out that ldap_int_select function in ldap_result hangs due to infinite timout in select call.

To get away with this, I want to modify ldapsearch to have client timeout feature.
Any suggestions regarding how to proceed or pointers to already existing efforts are appreciated.

Regards,
Suhel