Re: use of ldap_str2dn()

Arthur de Jong wrote:
On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:31 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
Arthur de Jong wrote:
I'm the maintainer of nss_ldapd [1] which is a replacement for nss_ldap.
I have been trying to get rid of using deprecated functions while
compiling with OpenLDAP 2.4.7.
[...]
While OpenLDAP 2.1.30 (another version I would like to support) there
is:
OpenLDAP 2.1? Why? That's been unsupported for 3-4 years already.

Debian stable (etch) ships with that version and does security support for it. Also many other operating systems have older versions of LDAP libraries (e.g. Solaris 8) that I would like to support.

That's Debian's and Solaris' business then, not OpenLDAP's. The fact distros don't stick with the latest development shifts maintenance and version compatibility burden on their side.

The fact binary compatibility broke at some minor version change quite some time ago is a sad fact, but it happened and was probably motivated; all OpenLDAP can do is stick with the current API, which makes more sense than the original one. Anything else would add more trouble without solving the issue. Note that you can easily detect what API is available by checking LDAP_VENDOR_VERSION_* macros (in ldap_features.h; don't need to explicitly include it, as it's handled by ldap.h).

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.