Re: Weird behavior

Well, "slapd -d" and/or gdb should show you where it's hanging, which would be Very Useful Information.

We've found that CentOS 5 really, really, REALLY likes:

The bind_policy soft option forbids nss_ldap from retrying failed LDAP queries. If the default bind policy is used, LDAP will retry a query several times when the LDAP server is not present. This can cause a pause of several seconds during routine operations.

Maybe you can try that. I can document the "pause of several seconds" extending for hours. No, this should not be the case. No, this isn't the case on my Solaris boxes.