Re: Checking the database.....

Define "which database"? I mean, "lsof" is good...

BDB library version? Start up a slapd that's configured with a bdb/hdb backend with -d trace.

What backends you're using? Search under cn=config.

As for using vendor supplied packages...generically, and this is much bigger than OpenLDAP:

You should only use vendor supplied products if you are confident that the vendor supplies products intending the use case that you envision. Attempting to use products outside of their intended deployment, quite often, results in significant amounts of pain for both vendor and customer.

As a specific example, Red Hat's RHEL product does NOT intend the use case of an OpenLDAP server, so that would be a bad match without additional suppliers (either rolled yourself or through a commercial offering such as Symas).