Referrals

Hello

I have the following situation and would like to know your opinion on the matter:

I have 2 slapd servers A and B, both require simple authentication and are not open for anonymous access.
What I would like to do is setup a node on A that would reference the root of B and would allow me to perform read/write to it.

I tried so far:

1. Setup a "referral" objectClass on A in the following manner:

dn: dc=B,ou=Subservers,dc=example,dc=com
dc: B
objectClass: referral
objectClass: extensibleObject
ref: ldap://B/dc=example,dc=com

That didnt work since B requires authentication. So I tried this:

dn: dc=B,ou=Subservers,dc=example,dc=com
dc: B
objectClass: referral
objectClass: extensibleObject
ref: ldap://??B??!bindname=cn=Manager%2cdc=example%2cdc=com/dc=example,dc=com

Didnt work either (authentication extension not supported ?).

2. slapd apparently supports an "ldap" backend/database. Problem is that there is no real documentation here or here on how to set them up. Anybody ever setup such a database/backend ? does it support authentication ? any examples I can take a look at ?

I dont want to replication B on A, I just want to act as a proxy.

   Or