Re: AW: Caching queries

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 17:47 +0100, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> > You are right, I should have been. We are using OpenLDAP to manage a
> > lot of users for a huge CMS. The ldap server runs on localhost.
> After
> > an OS + hardware + ldap server upgrade (we used Netscape Directory
> > Server 4.16 before), the whole CMS was very slow and from what we
> have
> > deduced, there is no ldap query caching going on. So this might in
> > part be responsible (there are *a lot of* ldap queries).
>
> In fact you may configure the backend (back-bdb) and the frontend
> caches.

Yeah, stop the presses right here -- the problem isn't fixable by
caching queries, it's fixed by properly configuring (the backend,
indexes, etc.) OpenLDAP to improve its performance.  It'll blow the
doors off of NDS, so if you're seeing slow-downs, it's your
configuration, not the software.  Don't add a layer of dumb (caching) in
an attempt to fix this.

Besides, what's "*a lot*" mean?

John

--