Re: Server side delay for bad passwords?

Dan White wrote:

> I'd only want a delay when a user/attacker has entered a bad password,
> similar to the way a UNIX shell introduces a delay. My concern is that
> the faster I tune my server, the more likely it will become that an
> attacker will brute force a password.

Given the current implementation, the delay will keep a thread busy for
its duration.  Your server, under attack, would quickly become
unresponsive for any user.  Probably, your case should be handled
separately, e.g. by writing an overlay that registers a delay for a
given connection and quicly releases the operation, and a background
thread that wakes up when it's time to return errors after the delay.
Nothing dramatic, but definitely needs some development.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.