Re: Upgrade to 2.3.40 -> failed index

Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Howard Chu wrote:

You cannot copy the database files from one machine to another unless
you're extremely careful and follow the procedures outlined in the
BerkeleyDB documentation. It sounds like you didn't follow those
procedures. Your problem isn't coincidental, it's inevitable when you
don't RTFM.

Huh?

I can't seem to find it right now, but I distinctly recall reading
documentation that indicated you could either start a syncrepl slave with
no database, or to jumpstart the process and make it quicker you could copy
the database from the master on to it before starting.

While no longer in the 2.4 documentation, the documentation from 2.3:

	http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/replication.html#Configuring%20slurpd%20and%20a%20slave%20slapd%20instance

Discusses copying the database from the master to the slave in a slurpd context. Other than indicating to be sure that both systems are homogenous (same hardware, same OS, same versions; which in my case was completely true), there are no dire warnings or pointers to BerkeleyDB documentation procedures.

That documentation is clearly obsolete, which is why it was removed.

I took another quick look at the BerkeleyDB documentation on the Oracle
site and did not see anything that seemed relevant to copying databases
between machines. Could I trouble you for a URL to see whether there is
anything in those procedures that might have been violated?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/transapp/archival.html

At a guess, you failed to copy the transaction log files to the slaves.

Also, even if for some reason the copies on the two slaves were invalid,
that would not explain why the master failed. The database on the master
was the original database built by slapadd when the server was first put
into commission. How could making a copy of it have caused it to fail
itself?

Too difficult to guess, given the lack of information. We have only your assurance that nothing was done incorrectly, but the facts indicate that at least one step was done incorrectly.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com