Re: large ldap server recommendation

ram skrev, on 01-02-2008 14:53:

[...]

I (and other Red Hat admins in the know) run Buchan Milne's alternative which comprise discrete, patched db-4.2.52 and can exist beside the RHEL5 offering. This is an utterly stable and dependable product; it is available at http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5Server/openldap/.

Will I have to remove my current db4* rpms to install these ?

As Aaron wrote, no. If you do install Buchan's rpms it's important to know that he separates it from Red Hat's by tacking '2.3' on to the end of everything, including the man pages. So slapd is called slapd2.3, ldapsearch is called ldapsearch2.3, /usr/bin/slapd_db_recover2.3, etc.

Even the libraries (which are in the normal place) have different sonames, e.g. /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.3.so.0, /usr/lib/liblber-2.3.so.0 etc. Anything you later build using OL libraries will find these during the build, or it will find the Red Hat libraries if you still have them.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl