Re: DN index delete failed

At this point I've found a DN that refuses to delete, and can 100% consistently:

ldapdelete -xZZH ldap://localhost/ -D "cn=identityThatCanWrite" -f /tmp/baddn -w password
ldap_delete: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: DN index delete failed

The theory came up that it could be a perms issue, so I attached truss to slapd while I reproduced with ldapdelete(1). I checked with:

$ grep Err /tmp/trussout | cut -d\# -f2 | sort | uniq -c
  21 11 EAGAIN
   2 131 ECONNRESET
   3 134 ENOTCONN
   7 25 ENOTTY

so no EACCES, so I doubt slapd is running into perms issues. (I'm also seeing this on batches of multiple deletes -- perms doesn't explain seven deletes working and the eighth failing.)

Any other ideas? I kind of feel like it's a bdb cache thing, because I think I've influenced it by searching for the DN in question first (which I assume does some sort of cache refresh/hit).