Re: OpenLDAP system architecture?

--On Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:55 PM -0500 Joseph Dickson <jdd@weyco.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
RAM is probably the most important, but you also will want fast disks,
proper partitioning of the logs separate from the database and logs,
and I recommend a non-journaling filesystem.  2 or more cores is also
useful. Unfortunately I don't really see enough information from your
end (yet) to really say much beyond that.
A non-journaling filesystem?  Really?  Can you explain why you would make
that performance trade-off?

One bit of data here:

I was specifically thinking of linux, where I found that ext3 filesystems were substantially slower than ext2fs when you are dealing with data being written out (checkpoints, etc). BDB is doing its own checkpointing via its log.* files, there's no need for the extra overhead the journaling filesystem adds.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc