Re: Berkeley DB, What's the recommended version?

Gavin Henry wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:52 PM -0300 Diego Woitasen
<diegows@xtech.com.ar>  wrote:

Hi,
  I need to compile the lastest OpenLDAP version and I want to know what's
the recommended version of BDB, if there is any. The latest BDB is
4.6.21, but I want to hear some experiences.
BDB 4.2.52 with all of the appropriate patches has years of stability
behind it. Past that, 4.3 was a disaster (so much so that openldap
aborts if you try to build against it), and 4.4 and 4.5 seem okay, but
I've not used them heavily.  4.6 seems to hold the most promise after
4.2 if you compile it correctly on NTPL systems as there is an annoying
problem with it otherwise.

BDB 4.6.21 works well enough; I don't see it doing anything worse than previous versions. Sleepycat/Oracle have pretty much declared 4.2 dead. Given that 4.3 is unsafe, we probably shouldn't be recommending anything older than 4.4 any more.

In some ways we don't really have a good answer for this question - as far as I know, nobody has spent any extensive amount of time using either 4.4 or 4.5.

I need to expand on exact versions at
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/appendix-recommended-versions.html

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc/ Chief Architect, OpenLDAP http://www.openldap.org/project/