Re: logging

Please read slapd(8) and slapd.conf(5) man pages, specifically slapd options -s -n -l.

I'm not sure why we wouldn't want syslog. Using the -d flag will change it to stderr, or you could modify the Debug() macro, if you don't think syslog is the right fit. I guess there's an argument for variable severity...of course that could still be done with syslog() and a bit of code.

loglevel sync will show you syncrepl stuff. Not quite as high level as you'd want, but it should be derivable. I think there is/was/might be some Perl script in contrib for log parsing. You might start there.