Re: Active/Active servers

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Thursday 06 December 2007 13:46:28 Taymour A. El Erian wrote:
Hi,

    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not. If I
install 2 nodes of OpenLDAP and they both share the same SAN storage, is
it possible that both of them would be working active/active ?, i.e.
behind a load balancer (doing reads and writes).

Sharing the same storage is typically what one would do with an Active/Passive HA cluster, using a cluster middleware to avoid both nodes accessing the storage simultaneously (and moving the resource IP etc. with it).

The only real way to do active/active for writes is multimaster replication in
2.4. But, do note that all it buys you is a cheaper solution (e.g., no SAN
required), not a faster one.

Indeed. I wonder why people even think that "load balancing" with shared storage ever makes sense. The biggest bottleneck in server performance is disk throughput. Putting a bunch of fast CPU frontends in front of the same Bunch Of Disks isn't going to do squat for write rates, and write rates are the only important metric in a replication scenario.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com