Re: custom schema oddness?

If you just add the schema, they should only show up in cn=Subschema. You have to actually add/modify the data in the directory, placing values in the new attributes in some entries, before the attributes will start to appear in OpenLDAP's slapcat/ldapsearch. (I can't speak to phpLdapAdmin.)

If you're wondering if they're getting loaded, I believe slapd -d config shows schema file parsing.