Re: BDB corruption after LDAP restart

This is being also discussed in a similar LDAP list..

here's the crosspost:

--------
> Hi,
>
> I had this same problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and OpenLDAP 2.4.6, and after
> searching everywhere, I found that the problem is in fact an unclean shutdown
> forced by the "startup" script (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd stop)
>
> Carefully looking at the code, the script kills the daemon and waits for
> a small period of and then starts killing (-9) the remaining processes
> (yuck!).
> This should work, but somehow it doesn´t wait enough time.
>
> I "fixed" this problem by modifying the shell options adding a (-x), which
> forces a slower execution:
>
> #!/bin/bash -x

Hi,

Well, apparently the -x parameter to bash simply means that it will output all script lines to stdout, and that causes the slightly slower execution.

I'm thinking about instead adding the -t parameter to the killproc command (on lines 103 and 109).

----------
-t<sec>
The number <sec> specifies the seconds to wait between the sent signal SIGTERM and the subsequentially signal SIGKILL if the first SIGTERM does not show any result within the first few milli seconds. This defaults to 5 seconds.

I'm thinking about setting this to 30 seconds. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Could a high number cause any problems? (Besides the obvious risk of longer shutdown times.)

---------

William Marques wrote:

-- MSc. Marcelo Maraboli Rosselott Jefe Area de Redes y Comunicaciones (Network & UNIX Systems Engineer) Ingeniero Civil Electronico, CISSP (MSc., Electronic Engineer, CISSP)

Direccion Central de Servicios Computacionales (DCSC)
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria         phone: +56 32 2654071
Chile.    http://www.usm.cl                 http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl