Re: Root Passwd and Credentials

I don't think you gain any special advantages by encrypting (or not) in a slapd.conf context versus any other encryption application. Like most password encryption, it largely boils down to speed bumps in the face of a preexisting access vector.

Keep in mind that you can run slapd(8) entirely without a rootdn/rootpw, either by initializing your directory with slapadd(8) offline or by setting a rootpw for some short period of time and then removing it once a sufficiently populated DIT is present to allow the desired access rules. In this case the only thing you lose is the ability to override ACLs. Many sites do not want such an ability, and purposefully keep off rootdn toward that goal.