Re: LDAP newb needs help.. (kinda long)

Chuck wrote:

On 10/21/07, *Michael Ströder* <michael@stroeder.com <mailto:michael@stroeder.com>> wrote:

    Chuck wrote:
     > I am trying to add the following record stored in cwagon.ldif:
     >
     >   dn: uid=cwagon,ou=People,dc
     > =network,dc=com
     >
     >   cn: Chuck Wagon
     >
     >   sn: Wagon

    [..]

     > # ldapadd -W -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=network,dc=com" -W -f cwagon.ldif
     > Enter LDAP Password:
     > warning: no attributes to add
     > (entry="uid=cwagon,ou=People,dc=network,dc=com")
     > adding new entry "uid=cwagon,ou=People,dc=network,dc=com"
     > ldap_add: Protocol error (2)
     >         additional info: no attributes provided

    Maybe I'm wrong because your HTML e-mail formatting might have added
    this. But it seems to me your file cwagon.ldif contains extra empty
    lines. Note that an empty line is the separator between records in a
    LDIF file. So your entry uid=cwagon,ou=People,dc=network,dc=com seems to
    be empty since an empty line follows the line starting with dn:.

    Ciao, Michael.

Cool, it wasn't blank lines but actual whitespace preceeding each line.... I did not know about ldif files and how white space is treated.

Thanks!

It's in the spec for LDIF and mentioned many times in our docs and FAQ ;-)

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
OpenLDAP Engineering Team.