Re: OpenLDAP's backend for performance and high reliability

--On Sunday, October 14, 2007 6:13 PM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

(I guess this falls in line with development mailing
list more than this mailing list.)  I understand that "a directory is a
specialized database optimized for reading, browsing and searching" and
not writing.  That's why I opt for having dedicated RDBMS vs embedded
for distributed computing... just as enterprise applications are
developed in n-tier.

Separating the OpenLDAP frontend from the storage backend offers no benefits; it only incurs additional costs in performance and administration overhead. N-tier architectures make sense in large enterprises for keeping data close to where it will be used. But they don't offer any actual reliability benefits. Simple algebra tells you that these designs decrease MTBF, they can never increase it.

One other point here that Howard left out, is that back-hdb was designed to also be write efficient, not just read efficient. That's another important piece of data to have.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer