Re: Startup time

It's almost certain that this configuration is inappropriate. You're unlikely to get a decently tuned cache for a database that size in 32-bit process space.

As for your "crashes," you're likely OOM running into the DN cache issues previously discussed

and you may find help with a 64-bit platform, OpenLDAP 2.4, or some combination thereof.