Re: ldapsearch and accented names

Luís Fernando C. Talora wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I´m having some trouble with ldapserach on Linux comunicating with a
> LDAP server. In fact, everything works just fine, until my query
> finds and object that has any accents on its name. For example: if I
> have an object named "Luis Talora", its shown OK; in oposite, if its
> name is "Luís Talora", with an acute accent, its distinguish name is
> shown like this:
> "Q049THXDrXMgRmVybmFuZG8gQy4gVGFsb3JhLE9VPVRJLE9VPUFSQSxPVT1Vc3VhcmlvcyxEQz1pbmVwYXIsREM9Y29tLERDPWJy".
> In Portuguese, is very common that people have accents in their
> names...
>
> Do anybody know a way to fix that behavior?

There is nothing to fix.  DirectoryStrings containing non-ASCII chars,
like accented letters, are displayed by ldapsearch(1) encoded in base64,
according to RFC 2849.  Your string, de
coded, looks like

echo -n
"Q049THXDrXMgRmVybmFuZG8gQy4gVGFsb3JhLE9VPVRJLE9VPUFSQSxPVT1Vc3VhcmlvcyxEQz1pbmVwYXIsREM9Y29tLERDPWJy"
| base64 -d
CN=Luís Fernando C. Talora,OU=TI,OU=ARA,OU=Usuarios,DC=inepar,DC=com,DC=br

(any newline inserted by the mailer).  If you want them to be shown in
readable form, either decode them, or use another client.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.