Expiring user passwords fails after first expiry

I am using openLDAP 2.3.32 on RHEL 4.0. I have configured openLDAP for password expiration. The system is still under testing phase. Created the basic password policy with
dn: cn=basicPwdPolicy,dc=avaya,dc=com
cn: basicPwdPolicy
objectClass: device
objectClass: pwdPolicy
objectClass: top
pwdMaxAge: 180
pwdMaxAge is set to 3 minutes just for testing.
And set the above policy as the default policy in slapd.conf file.
Whenever I create a new user, it is prompted for a password change after first 3 minutes are expired. and when the user changes his password, he is never prompted for a password change ever again. It stays there forever.
Not sure why it fails to do it again. If anyone can guide me, it would be indeed of great help.