Re: printer and schema trouble

> > I'm using OpenLDAP 2.3.34 on CentOS 4.4.
> > I'm trying to get some printer information stored in OpenLDAP and I'm
> > having trouble getting the schema to work.  I've obtained the
> > ldap-printer.schema and ldap-slp.schema from
> > http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/projects/awilliam/ldap.html.
> > The problem seems to be with ldap-slp.schema.  There error that I get is
> > as follows:
> > [:user@ldap-server:] /etc/init.d/ldap restart
> > Checking config file /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:             [FAILED]
> > /usr/share/openldap/schema/ldap-slp.schema: line 38: Syntax not found:
> > "1.3.6.1.4.1.6252.2.27.6.2.2"
> > slaptest: bad configuration file!
> > The part of the schema where the error occurs has the following entry:
> > ...and the "syntax not found" error appears to reference an entry at the
> > very top of the schema file:
> > ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.6252.2.27.6.2.2
> >      DESC 'SLP Service Type' )
> > The odd thing about this entry (to me) is that they don't have an
> > attributetype or objectclass in the description.
> > Does anybody have a working printer schema configuration that they would
> > be willing to share or know why mine is not working?
> You'd have to ask the author of the Schema, most probably Adam Tauno
> Williams.

Nope, as specifically stated on the page from which he retrieved the
schema, they are provided AS IS: "I don't endorse the suitability of any
of these files for any purpose. If you are going to install schema in
your DSA then you need to **understand** what you are doing.".

I am not the author of most of the schemas on that page, they are simply
collected.  If the schema file is wrong it may contain an author in the
comments, or it misrepresents the RFC, or the RFC is not viable;  not
impossible for something used as rarely as LDAP+SLP.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com