Invalid Credentials (49)

I have created a bdb database using openldap on a RH Linux server with basically the default configuration.

I'm able to log in with an LDAP client using the root dn and password: "cn=Manager, dc=example, dc=com" (using "example.com" here instead of my actual domain)

I've created an Organizational Unit called "Zimbra", and under Zimbra, I have inetOrgPerson "Ron"

com
example
organizationalUnit = Zimbra
inetOrgPerson = Ron

Using ldapmodify (logging in as rootdn) I gave inetOrgPerson Ron a password (userPassword)

In slapd.conf, I've given Ron access to write to the Zimbra ou:

access to dn.base="ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com"
by dn="cn=Ron,ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com" write

When I then use the following settings to log in as Ron using an LDAP client, I get "Invalid Credentials (49)" error:

Host: example.com
Port: 389
Protocol: LDAP v3
DSML Service:
Base DN: ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com
Level: User+Password
User DN: cn=Ron,ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com
Password: <the password I set for inetOrgPerson Ron in userPassword field>

I thought this might have been an issue with my LDAP client, so I also tried logging in locally on the server, using only ldapsearch:

ldapsearch -v -H "ldap://example.com"; -D 'cn=Ron,ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com' -W -x -b 'ou=Zimbra,dc=example,dc=com'

And still get same error. Again, I can log in using rootdn (i.e., "Manger"), but not as any other user.

Can someone point out to me what I'm missing? Thanks so much for any assistance.

-ron

--
Ron Parker
Software Creations               http://www.scbbs.com