Re: Windows OpenLDAP (slapd) startup error

--On Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:57 PM -0400 S James S Stapleton <stapleton.41@osu.edu> wrote:

I'm trying to look up this error, but cant find what it means. I'm using
windows, and this is the error I find in the windows logs:

The description for Event ID ( 1281 ) in Source ( openldap-slapd ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

When I try to start the service, I specifically get:

Windows could not start the OpenLDAP Directory Service on Local Computer.
For more information, review the System Event log. If this is a
non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
service-specific error code 19.

I am using the default slapd.conf and ldap.conf files.

I received the LDAP schema from the original server that this is to be a
pass-through for. The schema is in a set (read: horde) of plain text
ldiff files from a Sun Directory Service server, and I suspect given what
I have seen in google, there is an incompatibility in these files. I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas for me on how to narrow down the
location of the error in the horde of files?

Hi Jim,

You can try running slapd.exe with -d -1 for debugging info manually. You are likely going to have to become fairly familiar with Schema to get everything copasetic.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Engineer Zimbra, Inc -------------------- Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration